Monday, November 18, 2013

Response: Dying is Fine

My first thought was this:
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Suicidal Leaves

But then the Ra Ra Riot video twisted into something inspiring. In their death, the two last trees gave the caterpillars a chance at life. And so I decided upon another response:

The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein
Read it online HERE.


Why this response?
When I read this to my students, I cry. Every. Single. Time. I am touched by the thought of a being loving another being so much that it gives every part of itself. Although the leaves in Ra Ra Riot may not have intentionally sacrificed themselves for the survival of the now-butterflies, they still reminded me of the sacrifice of the Giving Tree. 

How does this relate to Growth?
Growing and living will consequently lead to death, but The Giving Tree and the Ra Ra Riot music video show that - even in death - we can continue life and continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment